Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sending "Thanks" to Troops

I received two more e-mails from soldiers serving in Afghanistan over the last two days. It's really nice that they took the time to send me a note to let me know they received the care packages and give me a little info on where they're stationed and what they are doing there.

I think over the past month I've send out at least 10 care packages. I think the folks at the post office dread seeing me walk in the door with a pile of those flat-rate boxes! Thank goodness the postal service is offering flat-rate boxes just for military so we get a little bit off the regular rate. And boy do I loooove the flat-rate box! It doesn't matter how much it weighs and it's the same price! I've sent tons of books that I got from the AAUW Used Book Sale here... TONS of shampoos/conditioners, deodorants, and other everyday items. I'm in Giant nearly every day with my coupons buying deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner... They must think I'm some crazy deodorant-collecting woman with a bunch of coupons! "I swear! I'm sending them overseas! I'm not a loon!"

I got the idea to send packages over in "Bust Magazine"... they had a little blurb in there about women in the military... how they may be soldiers, but they are still women who might like to feel or smell a little girly on occasion. They also listed the website, "AnySoldier.com". So, it started out as girly items (girly-smelling products, mags).... I haven't used any other website sicne.

It's hard for just me to do it, not to mention quite pricey, so I put a call out to my party guests... oh yeah, I'm not ashamed! I put it in their e-vites... Donate an item to send overseas and get 10% off the lowest-priced item on their order... bring two, get 10% off the 2 lowest-priced items, and so forth... Most of the time, I don't get donations, but there have been parties when everyone has brought at least one item... I've even seen my hostesses give items to their guests to bring back! I love it when my guests think to bring something to donate. Sure, I lose a bit of my commission, but it's for a good cause. These men and women are overseas serving our country.. they've given up time with their families... I don't think I'll miss a little bit of cash.

I really do just appreciate getting letters/e-mails from the troops when they receive their packages. I wonder how my "Junk Food" box went over. I did a search for troops from PA and the one set asked for "Middleswarth" potato chips... Middleswarth is a PA thing, so I sent them a big bag of chips, some Snyder's Pretzels (another PA thing), Tastycakes... and some other yummy things... I hope it all arrived all right.

But yeah, I get really excited when I see an e-mail or letter from a soldier. I think about them often... appreciate all that they do... hope for their safe return home...

No comments: